The old part of the current BHCC church building
was raised in April 1888 by a group of Swedish
immigrant settlers from Harjedalen &
Lillherrdal, Sweden, who wanted a place of
worship in their new community in the Black
Hills in what was to be later called Black
Hawk. Here are links to material from
the 100 year history of Black Hawk publication
printed in 1987.
Black Hawk History Here are some pictures from those days. Click on the thumbnail photos to get larger pictures.
In the fall of 1951 after a 30 year hiatus in worship services at the old Swedish church, the ladies of the Foothills Extension Club decided it was time to start a
Sunday School in the community. They approached the old Swedish Bethesda Board with their idea and with their blessing, started renovation of the old church building. Bake sales, & rummage sales, among other projects, helped fund the repair work
necessary to make the building usable again.
Pastor Phipps & youth group early 1950s
Return to Main Page